Internet Advancement is now available!
How Internet Advancement Works
Internet Advancement makes it easy for unit leadership to record awards, ranks, and merit badges to youth via an online process. This system is separate from Internet Rechartering, but uses a similar concept.
At any time during the year, the unit advancement chair from each active unit will be able to record advancements of youth members through this system. Plus, they'll also be able to print a unit roster at any time. The roster is the most current information from ScoutNET, and it will include the person ID for each adult and youth member.
These are other reports available from Internet Advancement.
- Unit Advancement Summary shows ranks, merit badges, and awards saved in each person record for current members of the unit.
- Advancement Report lists each youth member that has new ranks, merit badges, and awards, if any. This is the official unit Advancement Report to be signed and submitted to the office.
- Unit Awards Summary lists the number of new ranks, merit badges, and awards by name as a shopping list.
- Advancement Update Summary lists any ranks, merit badges, and awards that were already in the member record and were updated online.
The council will provide each unit with a unit ID, and the unit will assign an adult to record advancements. Ranks must be recorded based on program identification and in the correct rank and date sequence. Only the Eagle Scout rank cannot be awarded by this process. Awards to be entered will not include nominated awards, such as those for meritorious action, and awards that are controlled by other organizations, even if approved for uniform wear. As BSA policies for rank entry are enforced, what units enter will meet these requirements.
If you don't see the three buttons above, use these links:
To use Internet Advancement:
- The Advancement Chair can select a unit advancement processor or perform the task themself. This person must have Internet connectivity and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or better.
- Obtain a unit ID code from the council service center or your district executive. The unit advancement processor should attend a roundtable training session.
- Gather information for advancement, including merit badge applications and advancement records with dates.
- Click the link to Access Internet Advancement here. Follow the instructions in the Internet Advancement system to process advancements and print an advancement report.
- Have the appropriate people sign the printed unit advancement report and submit it to the council service center. Save a copy for your files.
Units should submit monthly before the end of each month, or more often if needed. In December, submit a report before the end of the month to update your unit and council statistics.
The district roundtables will feature orientation on Internet Advancement in the fall. Each unit must select an adult to be its unit advancement processor, and this adult should attend the training. Additionally, anyone who wants to learn more about Internet Advancement can review the help information or the Frequently Asked Questions section.