Intro to Backpacking
Printer Friendly Flyer: Intro to Backpacking.pdf
Join us on a 5 Part Adventure to prepare for the Week Long Outback Trek at BTSR’s High Adventure Summer Program. We will start from the basics and work our way up. Open to All Registered Boy Scouts!
To register, call Gracie Quintela 432-570-7601.
“Somewhere out there is a trail with your name on it. Go find it.”
From 4400 ft. of elevation in base camp, to over 5400 ft. at the top of Forbidden Mountain, there is something for everyone! There are over a dozen trails that wind through the over 9,000 acres of rugged and beautiful BTSR terrain. Many of these trails were established almost 6 decades ago and still see traffic today as we continue to put hikers into our wonderful backcountry.
January 16th @ 4 pm – Classroom Basics
- Meet at the Big Spring Office located at 610 Scurry, Big Spring, TX.
- All the talking points and basics done in one class, after today we will be hitting the trails. Bring your questions and ideas. If you have any concerns regarding your equipment feel free to bring that as well.
- – Trek Safely
- – Leave No Trace
- – Pack with a Purpose, learn the things to bring!
- Scouts will have an opportunity to start their own survival kit. We are still pricing the materials and will have a cost available soon.
February 6th @ 9:30 am – Bring Your Own Pack
- Meet at the “Heart of the City Park” Pavilion located at 3rd and Scurry in Big Spring, TX
- Dress for the weather, bring your pack and water, comfortable shoes are a must.
- – Will join the Ten Commandments Hike in Big Spring for an easy trek with frequent breaks.
- – Practice Stowing your Gear and Experience your first Shake Down
March 12th and 13th @ 9:00 am- Wilderness First Aid
- Meet at the Midland Scout Office located at 1101 W Texas Ave, Midland, TX. 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM both days.
- This 16 hour course is geared towards youth and adults 14 yrs old and older. There are pre-requirements to receive the Wilderness First Aid certification. Younger participants and individuals without the pre-requirements are welcome to participate but will not be able to receive a certification for the event.
- Must pre-register with Gracie Quintela at Midland Scout Office. For more information check out the Wilderness First Aid on the council website. There is a $85 cost for this training, it includes all course materials and lunch.
- – Practice Emergency Scenarios
- – Earn your Wilderness First Aid Certification
April 16th @ 9:30 am – Hit the Trail (Park Admission Fee)
- Meet at the Colorado City State Park.
- – Camp over Night
- – Guided Nature Hike with your Gear
- – Pack it in, pack it out! Bring your own food and Supplies.
May 13th – 15th @ 7:30 pm – Trail Run at BTSR!
We will have a late departure from camp at 8:00 pm.
- – Guided Weekend Trek, Spend 2 Nights in the Mountains
- – Final Preparation before Summer Camp
- – Bring your own food and Supplies.
- – Are you ready yet?