Scouting For Food 2019
Special thanks to our Sponsor!
15,862 lbs of food was donated in just one day in 2018! Great job everyone!
2019 is gearing up to exceed last year!
Scouting For Food is Buffalo Trail Council’s annual good turn event and each Pack, Troop, and Crew are expected to do their part to help feed the hungry of our community.
The official collection date will be Saturday, January 26th. Collection locations vary by district (see below). Official collection times will be from 10:00AM to 2:00PM. However, Scout units are encouraged to begin the collection effort on December 15th.
Drop Off Locations:
We are still waiting to confirm all of the locations. That being said, we are expecting to use the following locations again this year:
Comanche Trails: HEB 3801 E 42nd St., Odessa
Andrews-Porter’s 1201 N Main St.
Chaparral: HEB, 3325 W. Wadley Ave., Midland
and at HEB 5407 Andrews Hwy, Midland
Lone Star: HEB, Big Spring-2000 S. Gregg St.,
Big Bend: Alpine- Porter’s
Our Goal: 20,000 pounds (one pound=one meal)
Our council goal for this year is 20,000 pounds of food which will be donated to West Texas Food Bank and surrounding food banks. This food (and the monetary donations that sometimes accompany them) is critical to the food bank at this time of year when their stores of food have been depleted by the holidays. The Buffalo Trail Council is an essential donor.
- Have a Scouting For Food unit coordinator
- Set goals! Have an overall goal for your Scout unit and then another for individual Scouts (one bag, two bags, etc.). Offer fun incentives for most cans/pounds collected.
- Use the official orange collection bags (see photo inset). These bags will be more easily recognized by our community and add credibility to our campaign.
- Scouts should wear their full uniform (if they have them)
- Hold a Pack or Troop “Scouting For Food Kick Off” where families of Scouts bring canned goods and non-perishables so that you can get a head start on your collection
- Select a part of the neighborhood close to your unit’s meeting location and begin collection
- Be sure to get the food to the drop off location before 2:00 PM on the final day so that it can be properly counted and received
Collection bags will be available from District Roundtables and District Committee meetings as well as the Scout Service Center in Midland. Every scout should have a bag as he knocks on doors to collect food.
Unit Commitment Form
For more information, please contact your district executive/Scouting for Food Coordinator or Matt Vercher at (432) 570-7601.